Monday, May 25, 2009

Mission control - Prepare for take off

I can hear the Mission Impossible theme playing in my head and visualizing a fuse burning.
Our mission/goal is to go to China to adopt a little 20 month girl and not get sick. Somewhere in all that we need to bring all her paperwork for adoption ( two copies ) , medicine, diapers, food, clothes, and even a digital camera. My cool gadgets for this mission is Buzz off clothing, and a netbook for communications, and earloop masks for disguises. Arlene is armed with cool outfits for Zhang Rui and a micro umbrella with a builtin led flashlight, tmobile GSM phone, and infared thermo scanner. So far, the van is very clean, the bags are packed (22 lbs, 35 lbs). We're ready to go. Oops, we still need to pack the carryons and my butterfinger snacks. I also need to find space for all the stuff that was in the van. So one listed that we would get homesick for US food and recommend a small jar of peanut butter/ jelly.

Our travel agent from Unique Travel was great! I discovered a mistake in our tickets and she was able to resolve it on her day off. The stated that Zhang Rui had to check in before going to Beijing. The problem was, we didn't have her yet! I met her at Bel Air to get official paper tickets to resolve the problem. She's also going to help us check in too.

All our friends give us the advice that the money we bring to China should be almost mint condition $100 bills. Yikes, I hardly carry them in normal life. We were warned that if the money isn't new and crispy that they could reject them or give us a lower exchange rate. I think I can invent a $100 bill press machine to really make it flat and crispy! I should add some starch to them. I think this week will be rough/tough on everyone. Whether it's travelling or the Calif.
budget crisis, or world politics, we need to hang in there and keep helping each other out.

Oh well, it's back to packing our carry ons and finding Loy's new credit card, which he just lost
(oh, ahem I meant misplaced...).

No comments:

Post a Comment